President Kagame Pardons To Former Premier Minister Dr Habumuremyi

0
13
Former PM. Dr. Habumuremyi was pardoned by the President of the Republic.

On Thursday, President Paul Kagame pardoned the controversial former Prime Minister, who had been serving a three-year term for financial misdeeds at his previous institution.

On November 27, 2020, the former Prime Minister, who was also the Minister of Education, was found guilty of writing a bounced check and sentenced to three years in prison and a fine of Rwf892.2 million.

Dr. Habumuremyi, who was detained in July 2020 when everything at his university, Christian University of Rwanda, broke apart, challenged his sentence to Nyarugenge Intermediate Court, which mitigated it by one year and three months.

He was still scheduled to serve for one year and nine months, with a six-month release date. He was sentenced to a year and three months in prison with a three-month suspension and a fine.

Dr. Habumuremyi is reported to have given checks to persons to whom the institution owed money as the financial problems at the university grew worse. He held 60% of the stock, his son 30%, and the Vice-Chancellor 10%.

He was accused with Charles Serushyana, the university’s former accountant, but he was eventually acquitted after it was determined that he was not guilty of any crimes.

Share This

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here